2017 April

(two meetings in April below)

 

NOTICE OF MEETING

Big Lost River Ground Water District

— Regular Board Meeting –

This Notice is posted at the Butte County Court House, WD 34 Office in Mackay, and BLRGWD Office in the Arco BIC. This and all meetings of the Board of Directors are public and subject to pertinent Open Meeting Laws.

Date:      Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Time:       1:00 P.M.

Location: Business Incubation Center — Arco, Idaho

Agenda Items and Minutes of the Board Meeting:

1.                 Call to Order and Roll Call

Chairman Moj called the meeting to order at 1:05 pm. Those present were Jake Johnson, Terry Monson, Mitchell Sorensen, Moj Broadie, Jack Jensen, Mike Telford, Todd Perkes, and office manager Debbie Broadie. A list of attending gallery members is attached.

2.                 Approval of Agenda

Jake moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Jack, voting was unanimous.

Approval of Mar. 21, 2017 Minutes
Mitchell read the proposed March 21, 2017 board minutes. Jack moved to accept the minutes as read, seconded by Terry, voting was unanimous.

4.         Old Business
l. Petitions for Exclusion scheduled for consideration

a.       Indexing and Recording Report

Debbie provided an indexing report of exclusions which summarized the date of exclusion, the cumulative cfs, and revenue losses to the GWD. She also provided a Reconciliation Summary and Start Up Cost reports, and asked that the “boxed highlighted items” be authorized to be paid. (see the 3 attached reports)

b.      Review pending Petitions

Chairman Moj introduced the pending petitions for exclusion by referencing the pre-conference hearing scheduled for May 3rd regarding the potential designation of the basin as a CGMA or GWMA. Moj stated one of the main purposes for organizing the GWD was to represent and protect the interests of ground water users in these kinds of matters and suggested water users might want to consider this before excluding out of the GWD. Some members decided to postpone board action on their petitions while others choose to proceed.

The Committee to Review Petitions for Exclusions then gave a report of their review of the pending petitions and made a recommendation of “approval”, “postponement”, or “table due to inadequate requisite information” regarding each of the petitions before the Board. (see attached index for details)

Jake moved to grant exclusion for those approved petitions, postpone those requested petitions, and send a letter requesting the requisite information to certain petitioners as recommended, seconded by Terry, voting was unanimous with the exception of Moj who voted “No” because many of the petitioners were the same ground water users who had previously supported the formation of the GWD and had asked Moj to represent them in Division 3.

ll. Office Manager Report

a.       Financial Report

As discussed above in item 4.1.a. Debbie provided a summary of outstanding bills which are payable.

She recommended those items ‘thighlighted” be paid, along with the accounts to Holden, Kidwell, Hahn, and Crapo, and “start-up expenses and cash bonds” be paid and reimbursed when those members pay their 2017 assessment.

Jack moved those accounts be paid as recommended, seconded by Jake, voting was unanimous.

b.       Other items

There were no other items.

Ill. (2nd Reading) Draft Policies Review

a. Policies Series 600

The 600 Policy Series were reviewed with special attention given to Policy No. 607. After discussing the current draft and identifying what additional language the board wants to be incorporated into the policy, Mitchell was assigned to redraft Policy No. 607 with the noted modifications and present it to the Board at the May 2nd meeting.

Jack moved to approve all other 600 series Policies, seconded by Jake, voting was unanimous.

IV. Committee(s) and Officer(s) Report

a. Aquifer Monitoring Program

Mike reported the monitoring equipment is now installed in the 6 additional wells and data is being gathered. He will invite Jaxon or Brian Higgs to attend the May 2nd meeting to report on the data and how the program is progressing. This data will be very useful to the GWD in developing the annual water management plans and in responding to Director Spackman’s possible designation of the Big Lost River Basin as a CGWA or a GWMA.

5.                  Petition to designate the BLRBasin as a CGWA or GWMA, Docket No. P-CGWA-2016-1

The Board had a general discussion regarding the IDWR Notice of Prehearing Conference IN THE MATTER

OF WHETHER TO DESIGNATE THE BIG LOST RIVER BASIN A CRITICAL GROUND WATER AREA OR A

th GROUND WATER MANAGEMENT AREA. Due the importance of this issue it was determined the April 18 Board meeting would be dedicated to this matter.

6.                  Other Business

l. Kim Andersen’s WR issue

After a brief discussion of this matter, Terry moved to authorize Debbie to write a letter to Mr. Andersen stating that BLRGWD would treat his ground WRs as a domestic use exemption and he would not need to pay the 2017 assessment at this time, seconded by Mike, voting was unanimous.

7.         Adjournment
The next meeting was set for April 18, 2017, at the BICenter in Arco, Idaho, for 1:00 pm. Chairman Moj adjourned this meeting at 4:01 pm.

 

NOTICE OF MEETING

Big Lost River Ground Water District

— Regular Board Meeting –

This Notice is posted at the Butte County Court House, WD 34 Office in Mackay, and BLRGWD Office in the Arco BIC. This and all meetings of the Board of Directors are public and subject to pertinent Open Meeting Laws.

Date:        Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Time:         1:00 P.M.

Location: Business Incubation Center — Arco, Idaho

Agenda Items and Minutes of the Board Meeting:

  1.  Call to Order and Roll Call

Chairman Moj called the meeting to order at 1:15 pm. Those present were Terry Monson, Mitchell Sorensen, Moj Broadie, Jack Jensen, Mike Telford, Todd Perkes, and office manager Debbie Broadie, Jake Johnson was absent. A list of attending gallery members is attached.

2.    Approval of Agenda

The agenda was modified to include reports from consultants and the recent IGWA meeting. Jack moved to approve the agenda as modified, seconded by Terry, voting was unanimous.

3.     Approval of April 4, 2017 Minutes

The April 4th Board Meeting minutes were read by Mitchell.

Todd move to accept the minutes as read, seconded by Mike, voting was unanimous.

Pivotrac and Water Well Consultants Reports

Jake Robertson gave a presentation explaining the pivotrac monitoring system of the four well sites he has equipment in. He also walked the board members through the web site which records ground water level with statistical data and graphic depictions.

Brian Higgs reported he had met with some “exclusionists” (exclusionists are defined as ground water users who were initially included in the BLRGWD as members when it was organized and then have subsequently petitionedfor exclusion from the District) from the upper portion of the valley who had inquired as to what Water Well Consultants was doing for the GWD. Although those ground water users were interested in the ground water monitoring program, they continued to express a lack of willingness to cooperate and work within the GWD. Brian expressed to these “exclusionists” that he would not work for them in completion or adversely to the ground water users in the GWD.

Brian also gave a presentation of the work he was doing in the Raft River area, and how that monitoring and modeling project could be very similar to the project in the Big Lost River Basin management plan. As part of this presentation the Board identified two substantive questions;

  • Will Director Spackman require the GWD Management Plan to fully address the effects of all basin ground water pumping impacts and/or potential reduction of use agreements for both GWD members and non-members (i.e. “exclusionists”) as a condition of his approval of any plan?
  • What or how is the Director going to deal with the “exclusionists” or non-participants of any approved management plan?

The Board expressed to Jaxon and Brian they wanted them to work exclusively for the GWD, regarding matters relating to the Big Lost River Basin, and to proceed with data collection and WR priority categorical grouping similar to the Raft River project.

Mike moved the GWD remit a retainer check in the amount of $1,000.00 to Water Well Consultants and authorized them to proceed in the monitoring and modeling project, seconded by Jack, voting was unanimous.

4.b.  IGWA Meeting Report

Mike reported on the April 10th IGWA meeting he had attended. IGWA continues to express an interest in our joining this state wide association and has made offers of reduced membership fees over the next three years. Mike indicated that what IGWA really wants from BLRGWD is our participation in some kind of a reduction in ground water usage program which demonstrates our “buy in” to the same kind of principles and efforts they are engaged in. Mike asked them to be patient with us while we deal with exclusions and first year assessment collections.

  1. Petition to designate the BLRBasin as a CGWA or GWMA, No. P-CGWA-2016-1 The Petition(s) pending before the Director and scheduled 3rd was discussed in considerable detail. It was determined the GWD is already a participant and does not need to submit a $25.00 check to intervene. The Director, as the Hearing Officers, will determine how and to what extent the participants participate during the pre-conference hearing. And the GWD Board should attend and be prepared to participate as needed. Jaxon Higgs will prepare a brief statement that Chairman Moj will be prepared to read into the record. This statement will be reviewed at the May 2nd meeting and may be modified if the Board so chooses. The May 2nd board meeting will include an agenda item allowing for final pre-conference preparations.

Mike reiterated that it is always a good principle of board etiquette to be unified in our decisions and we should take the time to discuss any matter until there is board consensus.

6.  Other Business

The Board reviewed again the Petition for Exclusion for Ramshorn Ranch. The petition had been updated with the requisite information, map, and $25.00 check.

Jack moved to approve the petition, seconded by Mitchell, voting was unenimees.                   47

5.   Adjournment

The next meeting will be on May 2, 2017, at the Arco BICenter, beginning at 1:00 pm. Chairman Moj adjourned the meeting at 4:30 pm.

Minutes Approved and Accepted