2017 May

(Two meetings in May)

NOTICE OF MEETING

Big Lost River Ground Water District

— Regular Board Meeting –

This Notice is posted at the Butte County Court House, WD 34 Office in Mackay, and BLRGWD Office in the Arco BIC. This and all meetings of the Board of Directors are public and subject to pertinent Open Meeting Laws.

Date:         Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Time:         1:00 P.M.

Location: Business Incubation Center — Arco, Idaho

Agenda Items and Board Meeting Minutes:

  1. Call to Order and Roll Call

Chairman Moj called the meeting to order at 1:00 pm. Those present were Terry Monson, Mitchell Sorensen, Moj Broadie, Jack Jensen, Mike Telford, Todd Perkes, Jake Johnson, and office manager Debbie Broadie. A list of attending gallery members is attached.

  1. Approval of Agenda

Jack moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Jake, voting was unanimous.

3.   Approval of April 18, 2017 Minutes

The minutes were read by Secretary Mitchell. Minutes were slightly modified in items no. 5 and 6. (See hand written modifications in those minutes)

Jake moved to approve the minutes as modified, seconded by Jack, voting was unanimous.

4.     Managers Reports

  1.  Financial Reports

Debbie presented an A/R Aging Summary, U. S. Bank Business Statement, Reconciliation Summary, Start

Up Cost report, and Exclusion Indexing showing the lost revenues from Exclusionists. These Reports and Summaries are attached to these minutes. The Board then asked Debbie to prepare an additional report showing Total Assessments Invoiced — Collected Assessments — Delinquent Assessments with penalty and interest charge as of June 1. The Board discussed what the code allowed relative to penalties and interests, and Debbie was asked to check with other GWDs to see what and how they are handling those items.

  1. Petitions for Exclusion

The Board reviewed several Petitions for Exclusion and approved those petitions submitted in the name of Mel Ellwein, Harry Crawford, Maurice Andersen, Norm Sowards, and Val Carter. (See Exclusion Index for a complete report as of the date shown.) The Petition of Bruce Blackmer is still pending as per his request.

  1. IDWR Communications

Communications between Tim Luke, Boise Office of IDWR, regarding the notification of exclusions were discussed. Tim’s non-interest was confusing to the GWD especially in light of comments and suggestions from Senator Steve Bair and Idaho Code references. It was concluded that the “Exclusion Index” would continue to be sent to the Director, but not all of the voluminous pages of the petitions and orders.

5.   Officer and Committee Reports

  1. Rick Mauthe was introduced as representing the “Upper Big Lost River Ground Water Users

Association”. Rick spoke about the Association and its representing some of the GW users in the Mackay — Leslie — Darlington area. This is the same general area of portions of BLRGWD Divisions No. 1, 2, and 3. Rick also expressed that the Association wants to participate with the GWD at some level and in some manner. Jake has been attending some of their meetings and trying to keep them informed as to the GWD activities. Other Board members reported that membership in the Association appears to be limited by geographical and/or social boundaries. The Board generally expressed, pending legal advice, the proper level or manner of participation for all GW users within the basin would best be served by having membership in the formally organized GWD.

  1. Request support for “North Arco” Managed Recharge Site

Mitchell introduced a managed recharge site located just northwest of Arco that is being developed by the WD 34 Recharge Committee which has potential of becoming part of a collaborative effort as described in the 2017 Management Plan component no. 2. Mitchell also asked for permission to contact the Eastern Office of IDWR and discuss with a knowledgeable staff member what administrative tools are available to water users for transferring current WR uses to new conservational uses and how this “Water Bank Initiative” could be promoted in the community.

Todd moved this “Initiative” be authorized, seconded by Mitchell, voting was unanimous. Mitchell will report on the status of this initiative at the next June Board Meeting.

6.  Petition to designate the BLRBasin as a CGWA or GWMA, Docket No. P-CGWA-2016-1

The petition to designate the basin a CGMA or GWMA was reviewed. It was determined that Chairman Moj would submit a prepared statement at the prehearing conference. This statement would be prepared by Jaxon Higgs and previewed by the Board. Other Directors who wanted to speak at the prehearing were encouraged to prepare and be “nimble” given the uncertainty of the Directors comments.

A Special Board Meeting to address the Prehearing Conference preparedness was scheduled for May 9, 2017.

  1. Policy Review (700 and 800 series)

The review of these policies and a separate policy addressing “board voting unity/’ were tabled.

  1. Other Business There was none.

9.    Adjournment and Next Meeting

  1. Next Special Meeting: May 9, 2017 @ 7:00 pm.

Next Regular Meeting: June 6, 2017 @ 1:00 pm.

  1. Adjournment

Chairman Moj adjourned the meeting at 3:50 pm.

Minutes Approved and Accepted

 

NOTICE OF MEETING
Big Lost River Ground Water District

— Special Board Meeting –

This and all meetings of the Board of Directors are public and subject to pertinent Open Meeting Laws.

Date:          Tuesday, May 9, 2017 Time:         7:00 P.M.

Location: Business Incubation Center — Arco, Idaho

Agenda Items and Board Meeting Minutes:

1.                 Call to Order and Roll Call

Chairman Moj called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm. Those present were Terry Monson, Mitchell

Sorensen, Moj Broadie, Jack Jensen, Mike Telford, Todd Perkes, and office manager Debbie Broadie, Jake

Johnson was absent. gen….t g

2.                 Executive Session

Petition to designate the BLRBasin as a CGWA or GWMA, Docket No. P-CGWA-2016-1

Mike moved the Board go into executive session to discuss the pending litigation, seconded by Mitchell, voting was unanimous.

Mitchell moved the Board come out of executive session, seconded by Jack, voting was unanimous.

a.  Settlement Negotiations

The Board met with Rose Bernal and Bruce Bleak to discuss how the movant petitioners might settle the contested case.

Jack moved that:

1.   Mitchell be authorized to draft a proposed stipulation agreement and associated documents.

2.   Mitchell be authorized to have an attorney review the agreement and documents, limited to 1 hour of legal expenses.

3.   After Mike and Moj reviewed the initial drafts, the directors could review those same drafts at the GWD office.

4.   Mike be authorized to contact Rose Bernal to discuss the draft documents, and secure her signature if she is willing to sign them.

Seconded by Moj, voting was unanimous.

b.  Review of Basin Ground Water Rights

Todd moved Jaxon Higgs be authorized to inventory and categorize all of the 586 GWRs in the basin with special attention given to combined WR limitations. This task’s expenses are limited to 10 hours of work at $55.00 per hour, seconded by Jack, voting was unanimous.

c.   Re-submittal of 2017 Management and Aquifer Stabilization Plan

Because Director Spackman stated after the pre-conference meeting he had not seen the 2017 Plan, a reprinted copy of the plan was given to Debbie with the instructions to send it by certified mail to him.

3.                 Adjournment

Chairman Moj adjourned the meeting at 10:20 pm.

Minutes Approved and Accepted on this           day, of